The Teensavers team wanted to alert parents about something that is very common, that had devastating consequences.
What could have been a harmless night of fun between five friends, has torn apart a community.
In a follow up to a story we brought you yesterday from East Grand Forks, Minnesota, Authorities there was investigating the death of a 17-year old.
Turns out he died from ingesting synthetic drugs.
Wednesday, Polk County prosecutors charged Adam Taft Budge, an 18-year-old from East Grand Forks, with murder in the third degree, second degree manslaughter, selling a controlled substance to a juvenile and selling a controlled substance.
MAKE SURE YOUR KIDS ARE FREE FROM 12 DIFFERENT DRUGS WITH THE COMPREHENSIVE TEENSAVERS HOME DRUG TEST KIT 12-PANEL TEST. THE TEST SCREENS FOR MARIJUANA, COCAINE, ECSTASY, PCP, OPIATES, BARBITURATES, BENZODIAZEPINES, AMPHETAMINES, METHAMPHETAMINE, OXYCODONE, METHADONE, AND ANTIDEPRESSANTS. CLICK HERE FOR A DETAILED LOOK AT THE LIFE-SAVING KIT.
According to the Grand Forks Herald, Budge originally planned to buy marijuana for a night of fun with his friends when he went to visit his dealer recently.
He ended up paying $100 for white powder, he claims he was told was an extract of hallucinogenic mushrooms.
Police say the powder took the life of Budge’s friend Elijah Stai.
The paper cites witnesses telling police that Stai was “shaking, growling, foaming at the mouth” and he “started to smash his head against the ground,” acting as if “possessed.”
Budge apparently dismissed the actions as a “bad trip.”
Stai passed out and once hospitalized, never awoke.
These next details are alarming and should be considered by parents thinking that their children would never do drugs.
Budge, Stai and another young man were at Budge’s home where they were mixing the white powder with chocolate. Budge’s father was home. The boys ate the chocolate at the house and went to pick up two girls.
The elder Budge notified Stai’s mother that the five kids were at the Budge home and that the kids were fine.
Shortly after, Stai was in the middle of his illness. The younger Budge called his father to tell him that Stai was on a “bad trip” and needed a place to come down.
Stai’s mother came to pick up the girls and left Stai there to sleep it off. The elder Budge checked on Stai, who found him catatonic and began looking for symptoms of a mushroom overdose. Figuring the sickness wasn’t fatal, the father still wanted to take Stai to the hospital. The son apparently urged the father to let him sleep it off.
Around 1:30AM, Stai was not breathing.
Forensic experts identified the substance as psychedelic substance was indeed “25i-NBMOe,” otherwise known as 2C-I.
It is shocking that it appears that both parents knew of Stai’s drug ingestion and subsequent sickness, but like many teenagers do, hope that time will be the best medicine.
Parents need to talk with their kids about the hypothetical situation where a friend or loved one appears sick and under the influence of drugs.
Who knows if immediately taking Stai to the hospital could have saved his life. He would have been around medical experts who could have stabilized his condition, if not treated it.
And the fact that these boys made this deadly concoction in the kitchen with the family home at the time, like it was no big deal.
We highly doubt that the elder Budge knew what the boys were cooking up, but could more questions have been asked? Possibly.
This tragedy tore apart two families. And despite the fact that the parents of Budge and Stai were both communicating, they still weren’t able to save the younger Stai’s life.
Our hearts go out to both families. These were good friends whose lives were both destroyed by a disgusting substance.